tips to prevent identity theft
It is a good idea to be diligent in handling anything with sensitive information. Below is a list of basic precautions you should always take:
- Be prepared by photocopying credit and debit cards and other account information so if something gets stolen you know which accounts to cancel.
- Keep records of all online purchases with dates and order numbers.
- Keep all credit card receipts and compare them with your statement.
- Be wary of anyone asking for personal information.
- Do not give out your social security number unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Take outgoing mail with checks or personal information directly to the post office.
- When making an online purchase, navigate directly to the retailer’s site, do not follow links.
- Shred all documents with personal information before throwing them away.
- Do not have your driver’s license, social security number, or phone printed on your checks.
- Do not carry your Membership card in your wallet, store it in a safe place.
If you notice suspicious account activity or experience security-related events, immediately contact your local KCCU branch manager for assistance or call us at 269.968.9251 or 800.854.5421. We’re here to help.